Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Current update on my dad.... Robert Morrissette

[The picture above was taken in May 2007.]

I know it's been a while since I've updated anyone, and I'm sorry. I haven't been really sure as to what to write.
This is a synopsis of the past month:
My dad had open heart surgery for valve replacement on May 19th. He had many complications, mostly surrounding his breathing (COPD and emphysema), that kept him in the hospital for three weeks. One of the issues they revealed is that my dad has something called silent aspiration. Which means he is aspirating clear liquids when he drinks them. From that point on, my dad has been drinking everything with a thickener in it to make it 'nectar' consistency. He was discharged from the hospital last Monday, June 9th. Thursday, we found out that a culture taken the day he left the hospital revealed that he had a MRSA Staph infection in his lungs. He is being treated for that and all is going smoothly with it. This past week hasn't been as successful, or with any progression. He has been showing signs of sliding back. My mom was concerned, given her medical experience as a lifelong nurse, with the signs that she saw and, upon his MD's instructions, took him to the ER yesterday.
They did blood tests and x-rays on my dad that quickly revealed that he his very anemic and has pneumonia. For those that are wondering numbers, he was 7.7 and on June 3 (the last time it was checked) he was 9.8. According to my mom, that is a rather significant amount and a short time frame to loose that blood. Obviously, my dad, much to his dismay, was re-admitted to the hospital last night. They are treating him with IV antibiotics for the pneumonia and giving him a blood transfusion. Hopefully the two will make him feel much better. Pneumonia preventing oxygen from getting in the blood and then low blood supply taking the oxygen... makes you feel really sleepy, weak, winded, and just overall crumby. We certainly saw that in him.
As far as the reason for the anemia, I'm not sure. Last night the MD's didn't discuss it. I think they were seeking to get my dad stable, and I would imagine it's a conversation that will be happening today.
As for prayer, it's greatly appreciated. My mom, Judy, is exhausted. She has many big decisions on her plate right now, both professionally and personally. Please raise her up such that she may feel peace in her decisions and receive rest for her weary body.
I will do my best to keep you posted here. It's easiest, then I don't have to worry about leaving someone off the list. Thank you all so much for your calls, emails, and prayers. It means so very much to us.
Many hugs and much love to you and yours...
Jenny

No comments: